Ensuring Our Puppies Are Healthy
We follow the most rigid health testing standards set forth in the “Silver Paw” and “Gold Paw” programs recommended by the Australian Labradoodle Association. Continue reading to see how we ensure that our puppies are as healthy as can be before being transferred to their forever home.
Before sending our puppies to their forever home, we ensure that they have a clean bill of health. We go well beyond the standard requirements, and make sure that our dogs are continuously being screened and tested for the following:
- CERF stands for Canine Eye Registration Foundation and contains a wealth of information regarding heritable eye diseases. The CERF exam is performed by a veterinary ophthalmologist.
- PRA refers to Progressive Retinal Atrophy and we utilize the OptiGen PRCD DNA test to ensure that none of our puppies will develop this degenerative eye problem.
- OFA and/or PennHip: This is a series of specialized X-Rays to determine the presence of, or likelihood of developing dysplasia or osteoarthritis in the hips, elbows or patella
- Cardiac testing is performed by a veterinary cardiac specialist and is certified as normal (congenital heart disease not evident) Equivocal (congenital heart disease cannot be diagnosed nor excluded) or Abnormal (examination indicative of congenital heart disease).
- vWD is a test specifically designed for a type of hemophilia (free bleeder) in dogs.
- CBC is a complete blood count which looks at the white and red blood cells as well as the different types of each. For instance with anemia the red blood cells are examined and for a bacterial versus viral infection, a closer look at the white blood cells would be indicated.
- Thyroid tests are sent to an independent specialized lab for diagnostic analysis and is not the routine test performed at your local veterinary clinic. Thyroid functioning is essential in the overall health of any pet.
- EIC Exercise Induced Collapse
- IC Improper Coat
All health testing is reviewed and verified via ALAA and WALA in order to maintain membership. Please note the current date on the organization’s logo.
In summary, you can rest assured that you are bringing the highest quality Australian Labradoodle you can find, into your home to love for years to come!